Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Good Morning,
I pray that the day is finding you well.

I like getting up early in the morning.

The quietness of the world before the sun rises is restful. Just before the sun rises there is an anticipation of the coming day; as if creation is holding its collective breath before it exhales and the stirrings of life begin. The birds awaken first, and then lights come on in the neighboring houses. People start to mill around. A runner jogs passed the house.

I live close to a school and eventually the kids can be seen walking to school, some with their heads down still half asleep, others walking with their friends talking about the coming day or some event that is important to them.

I like the mornings; I talk to God in the mornings. I listen for His words in the mornings before the noise of the day makes it harder to hear Him.

In the quietness of the morning I thank God for His creation and all the blessings He has given.

In the quietness of the morning I pray for the families as they start their day.

In the quietness of the morning I pray for the kids as they walk past the house.

As I write down these thoughts I am reminded of something Henri Nouwen once wrote, he said, “True contemplatives, then are not the ones who withdraw from the world to save their own soul, but the ones who enter into the center of the world and pray to God from there.”

While withdrawing to a retreat is important to replenish the soul. It is important that we come back from those places and live among others, to listen to our surroundings and pray to God about what we hear. It is important that we pay attention to the things we see and pray to God about what we witness.

I am moved by Henri’s words.

When it gets noisy is when I must pray harder.

Something to think about,
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment